Thursday, May 04, 2006

Safari 6

off from masai mara. all my attempts to persuade Nandish to take us trough the reserve on our way back to Uganda failed and after early morning ride with the guide around the park, we set off to narok and I ended up only seeing less than half of the reserve. FYI, if you want to see all of the masai mara reserve, you need to stay in two distinct park jurisdictions, which means separate tickets for the north & south halves of the park. also staying in a single lodge will limit the area you can see to that what you can cover in about 1.5 hours (in case you do not want to have packet lunch in hot car). I would have definitely wanted to have more time observing the animals in the park. Somehow, the lone cheetah observing the savannah from top of a rock left me longing for solitary work with the animals. Finnish steppenwolf.

on our way to narok I was really tired from the early morning and the landscape dotted with zebras and masai cattle succumbed me into a semi-unconscious state despite N. driving like rally driver along the dirt roads. on the tarmac we gained speed and after several police road blocks reached the city of Kisumu. We would have needed to reach the border in 2 hours and had not clue on the condition of the road, so we decided to stay in Kisumu. Unfortunately, the lonely planet Kenya 2003 edition was quite out of date for the city and there was nothing really to see or do in the town and the prices for accommodation were also up. As N. was tired after driving all day I ventured to the non-existing Thursday nightlife of the town own my own. Besides these problems, lack of streetlight coverage, street kids, huge pits on the streets and general lack of English speaking people and attitude towards white (mzungu, mzungu!!!) gnawed my determination of finding a lively club. Once I remembered that I would need to take the anti-malaria medication I went back to hotel and did not find the courage in me to exit the hotel again. this bothers me as thinking always about risks does not lead to very exciting life in general.

No comments: