Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mount Elgon - Day 3

Third day started early, at 5.15 when the sun was not yet up. My bowels were growling during the night, so I took some medicine, which turned out to be a good decision. Unfortunately, I put the medicine in my backpack and could not find to take it with me for the walk… this would have consequences later on… also at 6 when we left it was quite cold and I did not realise that I would be needing my sun cream. The sun was up on the mountains for most of the day and hence I burned my ears without noticing until too late as the fresh wind kept my head cool. Can’t really complain though, the weather was gorgeous and rain would have slowed as down and made the day’s walk quite miserably. Despite the The scenery on the way was great, although after 3 hours of walk, I started to feel medicine wear of and wanted to hurry to the next campsite were I could go to loo and turn my back upside down for more medicine. Definitely food related… Around midday we reached a small campsite, I run for the toilet (which had a hefty bee population in it), had packed lunch and changed yet another pair of dry socks on. The terrain although from time to time difficult and wet was not as demanding as the way for the peak had been and we were able to keep a good pace all day. In the end, we arrived at 15, three hours earlier than the danes who left at the same time. The campsite was just awesome. The tents were erected in a large cave, which was topped by small stream that formed a waterfall just at the end of the cave. We all had shower in the waterfall, which was besides refreshingly cold, also more hard hitting than expected, more like a power shower. It really felt good to wash away the dirt from the previous days and I was feeling great. The back of the cave was full of bats, which even during the day kept constant noise of wing clapping and chittering. Unlike, in some nature documentary I’ve seen they did not fly out as single big group when the sun went down, as we would have expected, instead they more like tricklet out of the cave little by little. Also what you don’t experience in nature documentaries is the stench… bats really smell bad (but you get used to it). For the remaining time, we watched the bats and talked about this and that. The Danes would be going back to Kampala on the final day, so I decided I would do that too.

No comments: